POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Human skin : SSS and faking method : Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 6 Jan 2005 14:08:54
Message: <41dd8cc6$1@news.povray.org>
Rene Bui wrote:
>>The problem I think with SSS is that you will need a realistic structure
>>inside (bones and muscles) to get a realistic head.
>
> ??? .. Do you really think that ? Could you tell me more about it ?

   I mean: a real head is not a perfect solid with uniform density. This
is, IMHO, why it always looks like wax/soap when you apply faked SSS to
an empty object. The SSS effect should be different on places with bones
more close to the skin surface than in others with more flesh or muscles
between the skin and the skull, and this only seems possible by
modeling, at least roughly, the internal structure.

--
Jaime